Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Up a creek W/out a Press

     In a few weeks I will no longer have access to a printing press-unfortunate but unavoidable. I don't have the means to purchase one or a place to put it. Earlier this semester I was in my Earth Science lab and we made fossils. We used some little animals from the dollar store, plastic bowls, and cheap plaster of paris. While I was making my fossil I realized that the solution was right in front of me-printing into plaster. I figured I wasn't the first person to come up with this idea so I did some research and I found other printers who also print into plaster. I'm going to make a plate and try it out. I'm really excited about this for several reasons. I might be able to make a little money, the life of my collagraph plates will extend, AND I can put thicker materials on my collagraph plates since I won't be under the 1/8 of an inch thick rule anymore. Check back for pics!

http://www.nontoxicprint.com/plasterprinting.htm

http://www.paulinehorricks.com/plaster%20prints.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment